Monday 7 April 2014

St Malo to Santander by bicycle

Last May I cycled from St Malo to L'Isle Jourdain and thence to Mons La Trivalle eventually returning to the UK via Eurostar.
On that trip I took an aged (Nigel Dean) bicycle equipped with hub gears and laden with six bags. On tour weight was snot such an issue but it does slow you down. I was camping and cooking and carrying food.
This year the plan is different - to travel light (titanium frame, carbon forks, derailleurs, skinny tyres). Not only will the bike be lighter but I will carry far less no tent cooking or food and minimum clothing and I will sleep indoors.
Last year, I felt a need to clear my head and the ride felt something like a physical meditation interrupting the flow of my thoughts. This year I start from a better place psychologically but feel the need for the physical challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment