Saturday 7 July 2018

Memories of riding from lands End to John O Groats

Prelude
The reasons we give for doing things are not always what motivated or caused them. I think in my case the statement of intent became a plan and then a commitment. The history of the statement is less clear but I think it lies in a chance conversation I had on a Brittany Ferry. A man was remarking that on retirement his older brother had done all the "usual" things like cycling from Lands End to John O Groats. Being recently retired and having undertaken some long rides the thought occurred of doing the same.
I read around, and it became apparent that riding for charity reduced the number of awkward questions.
I signed up with Just Giving and Amnesty and read books on routes.
Not being in a great hurry I decided on the Western Route through Scotland.

Equipment



The Route



Wild Swimming

Few and far between on this journey through the UK. I managed a couple of swims in the lake District and a few miles south of Oban.

No comments:

Post a Comment